On 5 December 2016, the Western Cape High Court will hear the case brought by Sonke and Lawyers for Human Rights seeking an interdict against the government to address the deplorable conditions in Pollsmoor Remand Detention Facility. Here’s what you need to know about the case.
- What is a remand detention facility?
- How many remand detainees are there in South Africa and how many in Pollsmoor specifically?
- What are the conditions in Pollsmoor Remand?
- What consequences does this have for detainees?
- Why should we care about remand detainees, and prisoners in general?
- So what are the solutions?
- What are Sonke and LHR seeking in the Pollsmoor Remand court case?