With offices in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Agincourt, Sonke works globally, and especially across Africa, to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS. In this way the organisation contributes to the development of societies in which men, women, youth and children can enjoy equitable, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of just and democratic societies (see http://www.genderjustice.org.za/).
Sonke is looking to appoint a Junior Accountant in its Cape Town office. The Junior Accountant will be responsible for preparing accounting records and financial reporting. This position has the following primary responsibilities but is not limited to:
Key duties and responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with the Sonke financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements.
- Drafting of all invoices and follow up on outstanding payments.
- Reconciliation of debtor accounts.
3. Transaction process
- Capture transactions on Pastel Evolution timeously.
- Manage and reconcile bank accounts, credit card accounts and petty cash accounts.
- Reconcile balance sheet items on a monthly basis.
- Process various journals including accruals and pre-paid transactions and attend to month end processes.
- Capture budgets onto Pastel Evolution.
- Create Pastel accounts for each budget line item.
4. Financial reporting
- Prepare internal and external financial reports.
- Prepare full analysis of all balance sheet accounts at each month end.
- Allocate shared project costs such as debit orders to relevant projects.
- Provide support to programme staff regarding project budgets and financial reporting.
- Assist in the preparation for the annual audit and additional donor specific audits.
- Preparation of year end schedules and compilation of other documentation required by the auditors.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree or Diploma in Accounting or financial management or extensive experience.
- At least 10 years experience in accounting.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in working in the finance unit in a similar position of a medium sized South African NGO.
- Working experience with Pastel Evolution.
- Strong understanding of accounting principles.
- Experience with audit requirements.
- Proficient in MS excel.
- Knowledge of SARS policies and processes.
- Conversant with International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Able to handle pressure and change.
- Deadline driven.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae and a motivation letter (please provide contact details of two referees) detailing experience to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, closing date 22 April 2018.
- For non-South Africans nationals or permanent residents, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs, and employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- If you do not hear from us by 30 May 2018 please consider your application unsuccessful.
- The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.