Access to education for non-national children in South Africa
Keep up to date with our Teach-Yourself Series – condensed articles on current and planned changes in South African migration law. Our articles and infographics aim to spread awareness on South Africa’s migration landscape, and our standpoints on the i …
- What does the law say?
- Do non-South African children have a right to education in South Africa?
- Must non-South African children pay school fees too?
- Do children need an identity document to enroll at a South African school?
- What kind of barriers do non-South African children face in accessing education in South Africa?
- What kind of problems are schools facing in terms of admitting undocumented children?
- What has been done, in the courts, about this, and what was the outcome?
- I have more questions, who can I ask?
- Ramjathan-Keogh, K. (2017). “Chapter 6: The Rights of Refugee and Migrants Learners”. Basic Education Rights Handbook – Education Rights in South Africa. Section27: Johannesburg. Available here: http://section27.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/S27-BE-2017-ch6new.pdf
- ibid. no 3