On 5 December 2016, the Western Cape High Court heard the case brought by Sonke and Lawyers for Human Rights (LHR) seeking an interdict against the government to address the deplorable conditions in Pollsmoor Remand Detention Facility. Here’s what you need to know about the case and its outcomes.
- What is a remand detention facility?
- How many remand detainees are there in South Africa and how many in Pollsmoor Remand specifically?
- What are the conditions in Pollsmoor Remand?
- What consequences does this have for detainees?
- Why should we care about remand detainees, and prisoners in general?
- So what are the solutions?
- What relief was sought by Sonke and LHR in the Pollsmoor Remand court case, and what was the outcome of the case?
- What has been the impact of the case?