What is the White Paper on International Migration?
Keep up to date with our Teach-Yourself Series – condensed articles on current and planned changes in South African migration law. Our articles and infographics aim to spread awareness on South Africa’s migration landscape, and our standpoints on the i …
- Our general stance on the White Paper
- Changes towards migrants from Africa
- The South African asylum system
- Funding the Asylum Processing Centres
- Changes to refugee status and permanent residency
- Other provisions of the White Paper
- Children and the White Paper
- Permanent residency and citizenship
Changes to refugee status and permanent residency
Those with refugee status will no longer be able to access permanent residency, but they might be able to access the long-term residency visa. As abovementioned, those refugees applying to permanent residency are subject to a thorough process.
We are of the belief that, for those refugees who can never return home, permanent residency is an appropriate durable solution.