Where is the voice of men in GBV?
Where are the men’s health programmes?
Is the boy child getting left behind?
Why is HIV the leading cause of death among men in the ESA region?
How to make men’s health a global-health priority?
These are questions we will tackle in this webinar organised by the 2gether 4 SRHR programme and regional partners APHRC, EANNASO, MenEngage Africa and UKZN.
Studies of health system data indicate that men often fail to adequately manage their own health and sometimes present at healthcare facilities late or not all, which negatively influences their health and well-being. Sex and gender have been shown to influence health literacy, health-seeking behaviour, and health outcomes.
During the webinar, we look at a scoping review of published and grey literature that gives further insights and analysis into programmes, interventions, and services targeting men’s health issues in within and beyond East and Southern Africa. The session will look at dominant conceptualisations of African men and men’s health and how these have influenced the design of men’s health interventions and services.
The webinar is part of a mini-campaign where we’re bringing together representatives from men’s organisations, academia, civil society and beneficiaries to share knowledge and amplify lessons learnt from programme implementation focused on men’s health. The campaign will cover:
- International Men’s Health Day – 19th November 2022
- 16 Days of Activism – 25th November to 10th December – Webinar on key findings of the policy review (HEARD, UKZN) and a scoping study on men’s programmes (APHRC)
- World Aids Day – 1st December 2022 (Joint RST TV message, Global World Aids Day report with a focus on men and boys
- International Day for Persons with Disabilities – 3rd December (Audiovisual campaign focused on men with disabilities)
- International Human Rights Day – 10th December Opinion Editorial – Men as change agents for human rights
The Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) – funded Joint UN Regional Programme – 2gether 4 SRHR has been strengthening sexual reproductive health and rights delivery in the East and Southern Africa region during the project period from 2018 – 2022. It brings together the collective strengths of UNAIDS, UNFPA, UNICEF and WHO.
Please join us for this critical dialogue and feel free to share the link with your networks.