Next week, MenCare, MenEngage, Sonke, Promundo, Save the Children and Rutgers WPF will launch the first ever State of the World’s Fathers (SOWF) Report which shows among other things that while men are increasing the amount of unpaid care work they do, still nowhere in the world do men share an equal part of the unpaid home and care work to women.
This film, “Being a Father” explores what people around the world think fatherhood means and why it matters.
The inaugural SOWF report will be launched globally at events in New York, Washington DC, Nairobi, London, Geneva, Brussels and Amsterdam during the month of June.
Sonke’s Executive Director, Dean Peacock, will be at the launch event at the United Nations in New York (details below), and Sonke’s MenCare, MenEngage Africa and Child Rights and Positive Parenting teams will be at the event in Nairobi, Kenya: Sarova Panafriq Hotel (9-11 am).
Stay tuned for more information and for the release of the report on June 16, 2015 – Youth Day in South Africa, and the International Day of the African Child.
DETAILS OF NEW YORK CITY LAUNCH ON JUNE 16, 2015
The launch event will include opening remarks and comments, a presentation of the report’s key findings, and a panel discussion about how and why fatherhood matters.
- Chelsea Clinton, Vice Chair, Clinton Foundation
Key Note Address
- Babatunde Osotimehin, Executive Director, UNFPA
Presentation of Key Findings
- Gary Barker, International Director, Promundo
- Giselle Carino, Deputy Regional Director, International Planned Parenthood Federation/Western Hemisphere Region (IPPF/WHR)
- Yannick Glemarec, Deputy Executive Director for Policy and Programme, UN Women
- Lena Karlsson, Director, Child Protection Initiative, Save the Children
- Michael Sneed, Vice President, Global Corporate Affairs, Johnson & Johnson
Moderated by Richard Lui, MSNBC & NBC News Anchor/UN HeForShe Spokesperson/Plan International Because I Am A Girl Ambassador
- Dean Peacock, Executive Director, Sonke Gender Justice
- Nikki van der Gaag, Report Author and Author of “Feminism and Men”
- Michael Kaufman, Report Author and Co-founder of the White Ribbon Campaign
When: Tuesday, 16 June 2015, 3:30-5pm EDT
Where: United Nations Headquarters, Trusteeship Chamber 1st Avenue – between 42nd and 48th Street, New York, New York
United Nations Webcast to follow the event live: http://webtv.un.org/
#fatherhood #SOWF #dads #genderequality #mencare #SOWF2015 #equalparenting