A picket is being organized to protest the Department of Home Affairs’ (DHA) plan to close Refugee Reception Offices (RROs) in cities and move them to remote border posts. RROs provide essential services for refugees and asylum seekers. Moving them to distant border crossings will have devastating consequences on the rights of refugees and asylum seekers in South Africa.
Tuesday, 19 June 2012, we will gather at 10am
Refugee Reception Office, Marabastad, Pretoria. The office is on the corner of D.F. Malan and Struben Streets.
The Consortium for Refugees and Migrants in South Africa (CoRMSA) with its members and partners are mobilizing refugees, asylum seekers, all non-nationals and South Africans and everyone fighting for human rights and justice to join the picket and campaign.
YOU will make a difference in this effort!
Please join the picket for the following reasons;
- To see an end to corruption/abuse by some officials and security officers at DHA
- To see government spending money to help South Africans and refugees alike rather than wasting funds opening RROs at the borders
- Currently closed RROs to be reopened
- The right for all living in South Africa to have access to documentation
- DHA to abide by the Batho Pele Principles
- To fight for human rights and justice for all people living in South Africa
TRANSPORTATION WILL BE PROVIDED TO/FROM THE PICKET SITE!
FOR MORE INFO CONTACT
CoRMSA – 011 403 7560
Roshan Dadoo, Regional Advocacy Officer – 011403 7561 / 072 200 0383
Alfani Yoyo, Advocacy Support Officer – 011 403 7560 / 083 500 3934 – transport