Hello! Sonke Gender Justice and Rutgers invite you to a MenCare Advocacy, Media and Campaigning Webinar: With 3 practical cases and a toolkit on how to do it.
Date: Thursday, 11 March 2021
Time: 3pm to 4:30pm CAT
The webinar is part of the ongoing MenEngage Ubuntu Symposium and will be moderated by Mphokuhle Mabhena–Lunga.
Panellists will include
- Ilze Smit (Netherlands case)
- Wessel Van Den Berg (South Africa case)
- Karolina Andrian (Poland EU work/life directive)
- Tom Churchyard (eSwatini case)
- Harriet Perlman (MenCare Media kit)
Media, advocacy and campaigning are powerful tools that play key roles including informing and educating the general public and the government. In Africa, there has been a rise of using the media to promote positive socialisation, such as profiling of good role models in societies as well as exposing harmful practices such as gender-based violence.
In the Netherlands, a succesful campaign to extend paternity leave combined media and advocacy. Some general lessons learned on how to do such a campaign will be shared and discussed.
Sonke Gender Justice and MenCare: A Global Fatherhood Campaign developed a “MenCare in Africa Media Kit: A toolkit for MenEngage Africa organisations working with media”.
This toolkit will be demonstrated at the webinar, with an effort to:
- Promote men as caregivers and fathers through media campaigns, educational programmes and advocacy initiatives.
- To offer guidelines on how to use the power of media and stories (writing and telling) to promote MenCare.
- To inspire and give fresh ideas on how to harness the power of media to reach large audiences.
- To explore how to use stories to move people emotionally and catalyse discussion and debate.
Be sure not to miss out on this conversation!
For more information about this webinar, please contact:
Mphokuhle Mabhena-Lunga, MenCare Co-ordinator, on firstname.lastname@example.org.