Sonke Gender Justice invites you to attend a 1-day workshop designed for broadcast journalists, presenters, producers and programme managers.
WHEN: Tuesday 19 March 2019
WHERE: Holiday Inn, Rosebank
The Zone, 177 Oxford Road, Rosebank, Johannesburg, 2196, South Africa
TIME: 08:30 for 09:00am – 16:30pm
RSVP: kindly email email@example.com by Thursday 14 March to confirm your attendance and let us know if you have any dietary requirements
Background to workshop:
Throughout South Africa, migrants and in particular refugees and asylum seekers face extreme difficulties in accessing their rights to safety, security, health and dignity due to widespread xenophobia and gender-based violence, insufficient information on their rights and service provider discrimination, including those addressing and preventing gender-based violence.
This 1-day workshop aims to educate and empower broadcast journalists, presenters, producers and programme managers to educate your audience about the issues surrounding gender and migration in South Africa.
We want to empower your audience with knowledge of their rights and to assist them in holding law and policy-makers accountable to their mandates to protect the rights of migrants and refugees in South Africa – particularly by addressing the gender and health needs of migrant communities.
- Understand the concept, definitions, categories and trends with regards to migration;
- Learn about the intersection between gender-based violence and migration;
- Understand the links between gender-based violence, migration and health;
- You will be empowered to question the assumptions and myths many in South Africa hold regarding migrants and gender-based violence;
- You will learn how to report sensitively on gender-based violence and migration including how to sensitively interview survivors of gender-based violence and other traumas.