Over the past three years, the Sonke Board has played a pivotal role in providing direction and oversight for the organisation. Their combined knowledge and experience has helped Sonke stay true to its objectives and grow in a sustainable manner.
The board is chaired by Shamillah Wilson who has been with Sonke since its inception in 2006. She is a well-known gender rights activist and co-ordinates Women and Global Leadership for the Association of Women’s Rights in Development, as well as managing communications for the Women Won’t Wait campaign and running her own businesses.
Until very recently, Des Lesejane acted as the Board’s Vice-Chair. He has passed on this task to Sisonke Msimang, and has join Sonke as the Deputy-Director.
Our other board members, include
- Sisonke Msimang (Vice Chair): Executive Director of the Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA)
- Tom Fry (Treasurer): Operations manager at Grassroots Soccer
- Neo Muyanga (Secretary): Musician and Playwright
- Gary Barker: Founding Executive Director of Instituto Promundo
- Thokozile Budaza: Member of Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA)
- Rachel Jewkes: Director, Gender and Health Unit, Medical Research Council
- Rev. Teboho Klaas: Director, HIV/AIDS Unit, South African Council of Churches
- Kumi Naidoo: Secretary General, CIVICUS
- Jayshree Pather: Director, the Media Development and Diversity Agency
We are also very pleased to welcome Cherith Sanger from the Women’s Legal Centre to our Board.