Refugees, migrants and health care in South Africa, explained
Keep up to date with our Teach-Yourself Series – condensed articles on migration issues in South Africa. Our articles and infographics aim to spread awareness on South Africa’s migration landscape, and our standpoints on the issue. This is a joint init …
- How is the South African healthcare system structured?
- What does the law say about migrants and refugees accessing healthcare in South Africa?
- Who pays what at clinics and hospitals?
- What about accessing specialist treatment, such as kidney dialysis?
- What about organ transplants?
- What about accessing treatment for HIV or TB?
- What about accessing private hospitals?
- The reality of accessing healthcare in South Africa
- How do we respond to inflammatory comments about ‘foreigners draining the healthcare system’?
- What is needed to improve the situation?
- I have more questions. Who can I ask?
What about accessing private hospitals?
If a patient is able to afford private medical fees, they can be attended to by a private hospital or clinic, regardless of documentation.