Why is Sonke going to court to address prison oversight?
On 13 December 2016, Sonke filed an application in the Western Cape High Court against the government and the Judicial Inspectorate for Correctional Services (JICS) to facilitate greater oversight of South African prisons (correctional centres). Sonke …
- What is the Judicial Inspectorate for Correctional Services?
- Why is it important to have a prison oversight body?
- What are the current problems facing JICS?
- Why the need for litigation?
- What is Sonke seeking in its court case?
What is the Judicial Inspectorate for Correctional Services?
The Judicial Inspectorate for Correctional Services (JICS) is the primary body tasked with monitoring and oversight of South Africa’s correctional system. In particular, JICS’ mandate includes inspecting, monitoring and reporting on the treatment of inmates and the conditions of correctional centres. The Inspecting Judge is appointed as head of JICS.