Founded in 2006, Sonke is a women’s rights organisation that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a poverty-free world in which women, children, men and gender non-conforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender-just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society and citizen’s capacity to advance gender justice and women’s rights, prevent gender-based violence and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, and in this way contribute to social justice and the elimination of poverty.
About the position
Sonke seeks a Chief of Party to be based in Maseru, Lesotho. The COP will be responsible for technical leadership and the overall management and operations of the Khutlo Activity. The Khutlo Activity is a two-year project to support the realization of improved services, protection and responsiveness for LGBTIQ+ persons in Lesotho. The project has two main objectives, namely:
- Increased coordination and capacity of civil society to apply behavior change principles that engage and empower communities to eliminate all forms of human rights violations and gender-based violence against LGBTQI+ communities , and
- Improve the capacity of Global Fund COVID-19 Response Mechanisms sub-recipients to provide inclusive high quality GBV response services in Lesotho
As a seasoned development expert, with LGBTQI+ rights as a technical focus area, the COP will serve as the primary point of contact with USAID Lesotho and supervise high-quality project implementation, with a focus on achieving the project goals and USAID/Lesotho development objectives. The COP will take a leadership role in coordination of all activities across all relevant parties including: USAID, the Government of Lesotho, civil society organizations, key stakeholders, and implementing partners. The COP will also oversee all project staff and sub-partners for results oriented planning, leadership, and coordination of project activities. This position is part of Sonke’s full management team and works closely with other senior managers at Sonke.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Ensure high-quality, results-oriented technical programming through hands-on guidance and support grounded in the project’s strategic objectives and approved annual workplans – with a specific focus on enhancing the objectives of the Khutlo Activity
- Serve as the primary liaison with the USAID Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) or Agreement Officer’s Representative (AOR) on management and technical matters,
- Ensure compliance with USAID rules/regulations and Sonke processes. Supervise and provide strategic direction to Kutlo activity staff working on key project deliverables.
- Manage and coordinate the implementation of activities across project partners, ensuring successful integration of activities
- Ensure that the project meets stated goals, outcomes, benchmarks, and reporting requirements and oversee complexity-aware monitoring, evaluation, and learning plan.
- Take a leadership role in coordination among USAID and key stakeholders, including partners, government stakeholders, civil society, and other USAID projects
- Oversee the quality of research, monitoring, evaluation and learning activities for the Khutlo activity, ensuring that deliverables are met on time and in-line with existing targets
- Ensure integration of the Khutlo Activity with, and draw on, existing Sonke technical areas of expertise e.g. Community Education and Mobilisation campaigns, MenEngage Africa, and the gender transformative approach
3. Financial and Risk Management
- Ensure implementation of the project in line with budgeted resources and in compliance with USAID and Sonke policies
- Oversee risk management and risk mitigation, including as it relates to safeguarding issues, for the Khutlo Activity, its staff, partners and beneficiaries.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in gender, public health, sociology or a related field. Master’s degree an advantage.
- Skilled and experienced programme manager, with at least 5 years in programme and project management responsibility, with the proven ability to facilitate effective processes and deliver results. Experience working with USAID and advantage.
- The successful candidate will have technical expertise in the gender justice and human rights field related to the rights of sexual minorities.
- At least 7-10 years of experience in civil society, with a content focus on gender and LGBTQI+ rights and freedoms.
- Demonstrate thought leadership in gender, health, human rights, with a proven publication record (academic and non-academic) related to sexual minorities.
- Significant experience with at least two of the technical areas of the project’s technical focus, i.e. LGBTQI+ rights and advocacy, gender justice, health and human rights broadly.
- The candidate should have the ability to work collaboratively and provide credible strategic guidance to colleagues with and without a direct supervisory relationship.
- Must be a persuasive communicator with excellent writing, editing and public speaking skills in English, preferably also in seSotho
- Interested applicants should submit their CV, a motivational letter that details your experience, the contact details of three referees, to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit at email@example.com. The closing date is 2 October 2022.
- For non-Citizens to Lesotho, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs, and employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- Sonke is committed to racial and gender transformation and encourages previously disadvantaged individuals to apply.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us by 31 October 2022, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.