Founded in 2006, Sonke is a women’s rights organisation that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a poverty-free world in which women, children, men and gender non-conforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender-just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society and citizen’s capacity to advance gender justice and women’s rights, prevent gender-based violence and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, and in this way contribute to social justice and the elimination of poverty.
About the Position
The purpose of the mobiliser is to mobilize the community to participate in the program implementation, training of the community and other related activities that seek to provide knowledge, skills and motivation to promote women’s leadership and in the prevention of Gender Based Violence.
Key duties and responsibilities
1. Community Mapping
- Assist the Senior Trainer to conduct community mapping of the areas where the Sonke intervention will be implemented.
- Assist the Senior Trainer to recruit participants for trainings and interventions and Sonke activities such as workshops, dialogues, IEC, soccer/sports sessions.
3. Community Action Teams & CBO’s
- Work with one Community Action Team (CAT) and other Community Based Organizations to carry out messages of the project, amplifying the voices of women in the communities.
- Support Community action team activities, working with the Senior Trainer
- Attend all stakeholder meetings with or on behalf of the Senior Trainer
4. Community Mobilisation
- Assist with community mapping, outlined by the Senior Trainer
- Assist with the Identification of ‘young women’ / ‘young boys and men settings’ within those communities, such as youth clubs and churches through a community mapping exercise
5. Community Events
- Assist with the recruitment of community events such as door-to-door campaigns, mass mobilisation, street soccer, schools program etc.
6. Facilitation of workshops
- Assist with the facilitation of select Community Education and Mobilisation sessions and other Sonke workshops for women leadership / social norms change
- Assist with preparations for training logistics
7. IEC talks
- Co-facilitate IEC talks with the Senior Trainer in different places in the community
- Distributing IEC materials on gender-based violence prevention and anti-everyday sexism i.e. pamphlets, female condoms, other related materials
- Timely collation and submission of weekly reports to the Senior Trainer
- Ensure that you are familiar with requisition forms for Finance, Administration and Procurement procedures
Qualifications and experience
- Grade 12 (Matric), a diploma or any other tertiary qualification would be advantageous
- Significant experience with facilitation, writing field reports, liaison with the M&E office, and people management
- Experience working in the areas of gender equality, gender-based violence, Intimate partner violence, human rights, including working with girls.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to write compelling field reports.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken) and languages spoken in the townships. For the Johannesburg position, iSizulu and Sesotho
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Skills and experience in feminism and the supervision of CAT members.
- Demonstrated experience working with girls and other community members
- Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae, and a motivation letter detailing your experience and contact details of 3 referees to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit via email to email@example.com, closing date 28 October 2022.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- For non-South African nationals, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs; employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- Sonke is committed to racial and gender transformation and encourages previously disadvantaged and people living with disabilities to apply.
- If you do not hear from us by 30 November 2022, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- Sonke reserves the right not to make an appointment.