Founded in 2006, Sonke is a women’s rights organisation that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a poverty-free world in which women, children, men and gender non-conforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender-just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society and citizen’s capacity to advance gender justice and women’s rights, prevent gender-based violence and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, and in this way contribute to social justice and the elimination of poverty.
About the Position
The Finance Unit Manager is ultimately accountable for the efficient planning, management and reporting on the financial management of the organisation. The Finance Unit Manager will work closely with the Co-Executive Director (Operations) and SMT to provide guidance throughout the finance cycle from budgeting and planning to actual expenditure, reporting, and audit preparations.
The Finance Unit Manager will develop, coordinate and control the budgeting process, and monitor the results by providing all necessary financial and narrative reports for funders and donor organisations, the board and SMT. It is the responsibility of the Finance Unit Manager to ensure the effective operations of the finance function and to identify high-risk areas and areas for improvement.
The Finance Unit Manager plays a strategic role on the management team and will use their financial expertise to help ensure effective, ethical and prudent financial decision-making in the organisation.
The Finance Unit Manager will also manage and coordinate the performance of the finance staff.
Key duties and responsibilities
1. Budgeting and cash flow forecast
1.1 Budgeting and cash flow forecast
- In consultation with the Co-Executive Director Operations convene a series of meetings in October each year to assess programme plans for the following year, forecasted flow of funds and budgeted expenditure for each programme. Based on this information, draft an organisational budget for the following year.
- Give informed financial updates, reports and advice in quarterly management meetings and ensure that critical operational issues related to finance are flagged and resolved;
- Assist budget holders with drafting budgets;
- Monitor budgets for over and under expenditure for specific projects and donors; and
- Advise budget holders of over and under-expenditure monthly.
1.2 Cash flow forecast
- Assist the budget holders to draft cash-flow forecasts for the upcoming months.
- Ensure that funds are transferred between investment and current accounts monthly as needed.
- Ensure that invoices due to the donor has been processed and submitted.
- Ensure timeous follow up on outstanding invoices
- Monitor cash flow
2. Accounting and Reporting
2.1 Preparation and presentation at Board meetings
- Ensure that Sonke complies with the Companies Act 2008 and with the Companies Regulations, IFRS and the Code of Good Governance for NPO’s
- Provide reports and make presentations on finance issues for the Board meetings
2.2 Donor financial reports
- Check the general ledger to ensure accuracy in terms of donor allocation
- Liaise with programme staff to ensure prompt payment, submission of accurate financial information, timely follow-up and error-free posting and record keeping
- Draft donor financial reports according to donor requirement
- Attend meetings with donors and brief budget holders where necessary
- Liaise with donors where required
- Ensure that donor reports are accurate and meet all donor deadlines
- Ensure that payment requisitions have all the correct authorizations and supporting documents and are coded.
- Ensure that invoices are reconciled to the statements.
- Ensure that all payments are loaded accurately and timeously on Nedbank.
- Ensure that accurate payment schedules are prepared.
- Ensure that all documents are stamped immediately after payments
- Ensure that the preferred supplier database is updated by the Office Administrator on a regular basis
2.4 Transaction Processing
- Ensure that transactions are processed accurately and timeously.
- Ensure that all advances are checked and reconciled before the next advance is paid.
- The staff advance and credit card schedule is prepared and sent to managers twice a month.
- All reconciliations are correct and completed on time.
- Ensure that month end is completed by the 10th of the following month.
2.5 Financial reports
- Prepare internal and external financial reports
- Prepare full analysis of the statement of financial position, statement of comprehensive income and other reports at each month end.
- Draft a comparison of total cost to company, nett salaries, medical aid, pension and pensionable salaries against the previous month.
- Check and authorize payroll
- Ensure that all staff are paid by the 25th of each month
2.7 Asset Register
- Maintain the asset register.
- Ensure that the asset register agrees to the information on Pastel Evolution
- Ensure that the Office Co-ordinator conducts a physical inspection of all assets of the organization annually and support the office co-ordinator in this regard.
- Ensure that the Office Co-ordinator and Administrator tags/ bar codes all assets and that the assets of the organization are physically listed at each office area.
3. Compliance and financial policies and procedures
3.1 Policies and procedures
- Work to refine financial systems to ensure proper and transparent financial management in line with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Ensure financial policies and procedures are reviewed and updated at least annually and ensure monitoring of internal controls and compliance with these
- Work with the Co-Executive Director Operations to develop and coordinate the annual workplan and budgeting process.
- Ensure that the organisation is SARS compliant including with regards to Income Tax, VAT, UIF, and PAYE and that all submissions and payments are done by the due date.
- Management of the cash flow of the organisation, together with control of all bank accounts and organisational credit cards
- Coordinate payroll and ensure that staff are paid by the 25th of each month
- Ensure timely processing and payment of all programme-related payments so that programme deliverables can be met as per grant requirements.
- Ensure that financial reporting takes account of the provisions of all relevant funding contracts.
- Ensure the provision of internal financial reports each month that include the following: Financial reports for the previous month as well as year-to-date showing expenses incurred, funds available and funds needed. This should include the SFP and SCI and Variance reports per donor.
- Review of monthly reconciliations of all SFP accounts.
- Ensure that staff adheres to the finance calendar.
- Support the annual BEE verification process
- Ensure compliance with the Sonke financial policies and procedures
- Ensure compliance with donor contracts
- Prepare for and attend inception meetings with project staff
- Train staff on donor compliance relating to finance issues
- Ensure that reports are submitted timeously as per donor requirements
- Adhere to the donor tracking schedule
- Always maintain a proper filing system on all awards
- Call monthly meetings with budget holders to discuss the financial reports
- Train budget holders and operation staff on compliance areas in the agreement
4. Audit Management
- Appoint and manage the relationship between the designated audit firm and Sonke and schedule and prepare for the annual audit to ensure records are up to date and on hand.
- Ensure findings are communicated to the Co-Executive Directors and Board and ensure implementation of corrective action plans
- Coordinate with donors who require project audits, oversee quarterly internal audits and spot checks; and ensure prompt corrective action against findings
- Check agreement and liaison with donor regarding terms of reference of audit
- Request approval from donor on audit firm selected and terms of reference if so stipulated in the donor agreement
- Contact external auditors on audit preparation and requirements
5. People Management
- When required, with the assistance of HR, recruit, select and induct new or replacement staff for the unit and ensure that all staff have a detailed job description.
- Provide guidance to staff through positive leadership examples.
- Actively manage the performance and development of staff through regular one-on-one meetings; participating in the bi-annual performance appraisals; providing recognition for extraordinary work and if necessary, addressing performance issues immediately and effectively;
- Encourage staff to participate in their own development and help identify development initiatives and interventions;
- Manage day-to-day HR issues such as employee leave, overtime, etc., and help your staff balance the demands between work and life outside of work
- Hold monthly meetings with budget holders to discuss budget variance analysis reports and to ensure that they are kept up to date and are included in decisions that affect them.
- Attend staff meetings, staff retreats, staff training, unit meetings and international meetings as required.
- Contract with consultants to assist with the strengthening of the unit as required
- Serve as a member of Sonke’s full management teams.
- Maintain relationships with the bank, auditors and donors.
Experience and educational qualifications
- Commerce degree in Accounting or Finance from a recognised academic institution or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a senior management post within the development sector.
- Evidence of progressive growth with increasing responsibility in prior employment.
- Proven initiative and ability to take on and complete projects.
- Proven experience overseeing a financial system and supporting policies and procedures.
- Supervisory experience
- Proven ability to develop an organisation-wide budget based on collective programme strategies and actively manage reporting and expenditure
- Proficient in MS Excel and Pastel Evolution and preferably a procurement system.
- Knowledge of technical issues relevant to post such as payroll and statutory banking and audit requirements
- Knowledge of IFRS and the ability to develop and implement efficient financial systems in accordance with IFRS requirements
- Knowledge of the Companies Act and Code of Good Governance for NPO’s
- Proven experience drawing up, analysing and interpreting financial statements and using the information to provide strategic financial guidance
- Knowledge of SARS policies and processes
- Knowledge of the Income Tax Act
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Ability to lead, inspire and motivate team members.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Proven ability to work as a team leader and as a team member within multidisciplinary teams.
- Problem-solving skills, the ability to work under pressure, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organizational skills.
- Relationship building skills with an ability to establish rapport and credibility with a broad group of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in contributing to the overall strategic planning of an organisation.
- Exhibit the highest standards of excellence and integrity, and display, at all times a courteous, professional and cooperative attitude.
- Fluency in English a requirement & valid driver’s license essential.
- Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae, and a motivation letterdetailing experience and contact details of 3 referees to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit via email to email@example.com, closing date 30 September 2022.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- For non-South Africans or permanent residents, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs; employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- Sonke is committed to racial and gender transformation and encourages previously disadvantaged individuals to apply.
- If you do not hear from us by 31 October 2022, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.