Founded in 2006, Sonke is a women’s rights organisation that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a poverty-free world in which women, children, men, and gender non-conforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender-just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society and citizen’s capacity to advance gender justice and women’s rights, prevent gender-based violence and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, and in this way contribute to social justice and the elimination of poverty.
About the position
The Graphic Design intern will support the Communications and Strategic Information Unit to design and produce content for the website, social media, public display, and other mediums. The intern will work closely with the communications Coordinator for the development and implementation of communications and advocacy campaigns.
Graphic Design Intern Duties and Responsibilities
- Adhere- Design – build concepts through researching trends on colours, design, layout & typography.
- Use graphic design software and work with a wide variety of media.
- Create and maintain graphic design content for branded communications and marketing tools.
- Assist in photo editing for websites and other print materials.
- File management and archiving for safe storage.
- Video editing
- Support and create e-mail marketing campaigns.
- Come up with fresh creative ideas and concepts.
- Perform any other tasks as requested by the communications Coordinator.
- Graphic Design major preferred
- Basic knowledge of layouts, typography, line composition, color, and other graphic design fundamentals
- Experience with Canva, InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Strong creative and analytical skills
- Compelling portfolio of graphic design work
Experience and competencies required.
- Recognized university degree or diploma in Graphic Design, Arts, or multimedia. A postgraduate qualification is advantageous.
- Outstanding creativity and technical skills
- Proficiency with Creative Suite including Illustrator, Canva, InDesign and Photoshop
- Proficiency with HTML and CSS
- Demonstrated experience with responsive websites.
- Experience with Video Editing Software including Premiere Pro & Final Cut Pro
- Knowledge of brand management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic, well organized and a self-starter
- Interested applicants should submit their CV, a motivational letter that details your experience, the contact details of three referees, to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit at email@example.com, closing date 11 July 2023.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us by 31 August 2023, please consider your application unsuccessful.