With offices in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Agincourt, Sonke works globally, and especially across Africa, to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS. In this way the organisation contributes to the development of societies in which men, women, youth and children can enjoy equitable, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of just and democratic societies (see https://genderjustice.org.za/).
Sonke is looking to appoint a Junior Accountant in its Cape Town office. The Junior Accountant will be responsible for preparing accounting records and financial reporting. This position has the following primary responsibilities:
Key duties and responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with Sonke’s financial policies, procedures and donor requirements.
- Draft invoices and follow up on outstanding payments.
- Reconciliation of debtor accounts.
- Manage and reconcile staff advances.
- Check, reconcile and follow up on outstanding queries.
- Process staff advance reconciliations on Pastel.
3. Transaction processing
- Capture transactions on Pastel Evolution.
- Manage and reconcile bank accounts, credit cards and petty cash.
- Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
- Process accruals and pre-paid transactions.
- Process journals.
- Import salaries onto Nedbank from the internal payroll system on a monthly basis.
- Capture budgets to Pastel Evolution.
- Create Pastel accounts.
4. Financial reporting
- Prepare internal and external financial reports.
- Prepare full analysis of all balance sheet accounts monthly.
- Allocate shared project costs such as debit orders to relevant projects.
- Provide support to programme staff regarding project budgets and financial reporting.
- Assist in the preparation for the annual audit and additional donor specific audits.
- Collation of relevant documents.
- Prepare year end schedules and compile of other documentation required by the auditors.
- Preparation for annual audit.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree or Diploma in Accounting or financial management or extensive experience.
- At least 5-6 years experience in accounting.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in working in the finance unit in a similar position of a medium-sized South African NGO.
- Working experience with Pastel Evolution.
- Strong understanding of accounting principles.
- Experience with audit requirements.
- Proficient in MS Excel.
- Knowledge of SARS policies and processes.
- Conversant with International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Able to handle pressure and change.
- Deadline driven.
- Excellent attention to detail.