Founded in 2006, Sonke is a women’s rights organisation that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a poverty-free world in which women, children, men and gender non-conforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society and citizen’s capacity to advance gender justice and women’s rights, prevent gender-based violence and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, and in this way contribute to social justice and the elimination of poverty.
About the Position
The Resource Mobilisation Specialist works to support resource mobilisation, income generation, donor relations and donor reporting. In consultation with the Resource Mobilisation (RM) Manager, the Resource Mobilisation Specialist will support the implementation of the resource mobilisation strategy for the organisation.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Resource mobilisation strategy
- In collaboration with the RM Manager, implement the resource mobilisation strategy for the organisation
- In collaboration with the RM Manager, develop an annual work plan that is aligned to the resource mobilisation strategy
- Identify, in consultation with the RM Manager, new institutional, government, corporate and private donors.
- Proposal development
- Work closely with the RM Manager and programme staff before a proposal is developed to strategise around potential projects and processes.
- Work in consultation with the RM Manager and management, project staff and finance to develop persuasive proposals and budgets to submit to new and existing donors.
- Stay abreast of the literature and developments in the field to ensure that proposals are current and to identify new opportunities.
- Income generation
- In consultation with the RM Manager, senior management team and unit managers, develop Sonke’s sub-grants and fee for service portfolios.
- In consultation with the RM manager, develop a work plan to roll out income generation activities through the Training Institute.
- Work with the unit managers to identify new sub-grant opportunities and prepare new proposals, including project budgets, aligned to sub-grant opportunities.
- Donor reporting and relations
- Support the RM Manager with regular communication with donors, including distribution of Sonke’s newsletter and other relevant materials.
- Support RM stewardship of donor representatives by inviting them to participate in project activities, where appropriate.
- Support the RM Manager to host an annual donor meeting.
- Coordinate with the RM Manager to conduct an annual donor survey.
- Support and manage the donor reporting schedule and ensure that project staff and all unit managers and senior management are aware of all upcoming report deadlines.
- Work with the CSI Manager to improve and develop communications material needed for portfolio development of income-generating portfolios (sub-grants and training institute) such as brochures, newsletter articles, etc.
- Together with unit managers and the CSI team, ensure donors are suitably recognised and visible in Sonke’s communications, PR materials and social media.
- Administration and database management
- Support the RM manager to maintain a funding register of grant proposals tracking approved, rejected and those proposals still in progress.
- Support the RM Manager to maintain a grant management dashboard, capturing all compliance-related detail including reporting deadlines.
- Support RM Manager to maintain a donor database.
- Create and maintain all donor files in hard copy and on the shared server.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in relevant field or extensive related experience
- Experience and interest in the non-profit sector and administration
- Experience in working with large budgets and multiple donors
- At least 5 years of working experience on issues related to human rights, GBV and HIV and Aids and gender equality
- Minimum of 5 years relevant professional working experience in a senior role in marketing, public relations or corporate social investment
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Strong financial understanding of budget development and management
- Able to write clearly, concisely and persuasively
- Detail oriented, excellent organisational and multi-tasking skills, ability to adhere to deadlines, punctuality and regular attendance required
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills across diverse cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work efficiently with competing demands
- Ability to work independently and in a multicultural team
- Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae, and a motivation letter detailing your experience and contact details of 3 referees to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, closing date 18 July 2022.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- For non-South African nationals, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs; employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- Sonke is committed to racial and gender transformation and encourages previously disadvantaged individuals to apply.
- If you do not hear from us by 31 August 2022, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- Sonke reserves the right not to make an appointment.