Fixed term – 6 months
Founded in 2006, Sonke is a womxn’s rights organisation that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a poverty free world in which womxn, children, men and gender nonconforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society and citizen’s capacity to advance gender justice and womxn’s rights, prevent gender-based violence, and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, and in this way contributing to social justice and the elimination of poverty.
About this position
The purpose of the position of the Senior Trainer is to implement community interventions that contributes to the reduction of sexual gender-based violence, particularly, Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) in the community through trainings, IEC talks, community dialogues and other
community-based interventions. The Senior Trainer will mentor mobilisers to engage the community on topics of human rights and the reduction of sexual gender-based violence (SGBV) by challenging the gender inequalities exacerbating the spread and impact of sexual harassment
and the improvement of services.
1. Training and Mentoring
- Identify and provide training and mentoring to community-based organizations in the identified area on the implementation of Sonke co-curriculum type approaches. These approaches include mass mobilisation, ambush theatre, street soccer, digital storytelling, community radio talk shows and others.
- Identify and provide training and mentoring to Community Action Teams in the identified areas on the implementation of Sonke curriculum. These approaches include mass mobilisation, dialogues, IEC talks, street soccer, digital storytelling, community radio talk shows and others.
2. Support and mentoring of Trainers
- Provide support and mentoring to mobilisers and community action team (CAT) members
3. Community Action Teams and community-based organisations
- Ensure the effective functioning of Community Action Teams and Community Based Organisations and distribute Sonke messaging using the 5 in 1 community mobilisation model
- Compliance: attend weekly meetings with CAT members and other scheduled weekly meetings
- Support Community action team activities
4. Community Mobilisation
- Conduct formative research, including identifying communities in which Sonke want to work, focusing on areas in which Sonke is already active or in which new branches are going to be established. (Community Mapping Needs Assessment)
- Identify ‘men’s settings’ within those communities, such as taxi ranks, clinics, taverns and churches through community mapping exercise
5. Provision and distribution of training materials
- Assist in developing training materials, condoms, IEC materials and other promotional materials to Community Action Team and Community Based Organization
- Track the success of the interventions and the distribution of materials undertaken by the Identify and provide training and mentoring to Community Action Teams in the identified areas on the implementation of Sonke co-curriculum Type approaches
6. Monitoring and evaluation
- Monitor and evaluate project success and compliance with deliverables with the project coordinator
- Facilitate a smooth exit from the target area at the end of the project period.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in public health field or related experience
- Diploma in project management would be advantageous
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in programmatic aspects related to the prevention of gender-based violence and community mobilisation
- Good knowledge of the public, private and NGO sectors in Africa
- Experience in programme development and monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in project and staff management
- Facilitation skills
- Presentation skills
- Communication – the ability to express yourself clearly and concisely
- Budgeting and financial management skills
- Relationship management and ability to interact on all levels
- Report writing skills
- Computer skills
- Ability to work under pressure