Itumeleng Komanyane, manager of Sonke’s International Programmes and Networks unit, which manages the work of MenEngage Africa, is attending the UN Women Global Civil Society Dialogue in New York. Komanyane is also attending the meeting in her capacity as the vice chair of the regional civil society advisory group for eastern and southern Africa. Over two days – today and tomorrow – Civil Society Advisory Group (CSAG) members from all over the world along with other civil society and social justice actors and gender equality stakeholders, to discuss strategies for strengthening UN Women’s partnership with civil society actors to deliver concrete results for gender equality by 2030.
The key objectives of the meeting are as follows:
- The Global Civil Society Dialogue will discuss prioritised actions and strategies for implementation on the ground that will ultimately realise the goals of Planet 50-50 by 2030. This will include taking cognisance of the commitments that Heads of State and Government made at the Global Leaders’ Meeting on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment, in September 2015, and focus on how to take these commitments forward.
- The Dialogue will be a space for civil society to discuss advocacy strategies that amplify the normative power of Agenda 2030 to raise the profile of gender equality policies and decisions in their countries. This will include the discussion of strategies to counter the shrinking space for civil society voice and influence.
- The Dialogue will also focus on launching key strategies on substantively engaging and strengthening coalitions with men and boys, faith based organisations, trade unions and youth constituencies at global, regional and national levels in support of the collective leadership of the Planet 50-50 by 2030 agenda.
- The Global Civil Society Dialogue will be the space to launch the Civil Society Advisory Group strategy and discuss its implementation with all stakeholders and partners.
- The outcomes of the Global Civil Society Dialogue will inform the CSW60 intergovernmental discussions.