With offices in Gauteng, Western Cape, Eastern Cape and Mpumalanga in South Africa and Kampala, Uganda, Sonke works globally, and especially across Africa, to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS. In this way the organisation contributes to the development of societies in which men, women, youth and children can enjoy equitable, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of just and democratic societies.
About the Position
Sonke is looking for a committed, suitably qualified and experienced individual to fill the position of Accountant who will be responsible for assisting in budgeting, establishing and maintaining financial policies and procedures, implementing internal control systems, maintaining financial records, preparing financial project reports and assisting in the preparation of management reports. The Accountant will ensure compliance with Sonke’s accounting policies and procedures, various donor procedures and regulatory requirements.
Key duties and responsibilities
1. Budgeting and cash flow forecast
- Monthly cash flow forecasts and fund requests in line with approved activity plans;
- Support the Finance and Sub-Awards Unit Manager in preparation of annual organizational budget;
- Assist budget holders with the drafting of budgets and advise on over and under expenditure;
- Monitoring of budgets;
- Assist in program budgets and budget revisions for all grants submitted by the organization in coordination with the applicable programmatic staff;
- Preparation of variance reports on a monthly basis and consistent interaction with program staff to monitor the financial progress of grants against the plans;
- Attending monthly budget holders meeting.
2. Accounting and reporting
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual donor reports;
- Attend day to day financial control and accounting;
- Control account reconciliations;
- Review of partner financial reports;
- Conduct Financial monitoring visits to partner organisations;
- Lead and coordinate month end processes;
- Maintain a Fixed Asset Register;
- Process monthly bank reconciliations.
3. Compliance and financial policies and procedures
- Facilitate funds transfers to partner organizations;
- Assist in VAT submissions to SARS;
- Lead and undertake proper filing and safekeeping of financial documentation;
- Participate in monthly budget holders meeting and guide project managers on project status burn rate;
- Ensure adherence to policies and procedures by all partners;
- Review sub grantees financial reports;
- Setting up of payments for approval on online banking system and filing of supporting documentation;
- Prepare all other journals and posting of payment vouchers including deposit of income and cash refunds journals, payroll and general journals and ensure they are correctly and timely captured in the accounting system as stipulated in the financial guidelines;
- Assist in the preparation for project and annual audits and liaison with auditors;
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Finance & Sub-Awards Unit Manager.
Education, experience and competencies
- Bachelor of Commerce degree.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar position with excellent knowledge of the NGO sector in South Africa.
- Strong computer skills especially with MS Word, Excel, Pastel Evolution and other related packages.
- Self-starter, experience working with multi-donors.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Problem-solving skills, the ability to work under pressure, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Exhibit the highest standards of excellence and integrity, and display, at all times a courteous, professional and cooperative attitude.
- Fluency in English a requirement & valid driver’s license essential.
- Willingness to travel outside South Africa.
- Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae, and a motivation letter detailing experience and contact details of 3 referees and this one page application form to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, closing date 31 October 2019.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- For non-South Africans or permanent residents, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs; employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- EE candidates are encouraged to apply.
- If you do not hear from us by 30 November 2019, please consider your application unsuccessful. The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.