With offices in Gauteng, Western Cape, Eastern Cape and Mpumalanga in South Africa and Kampala, Uganda, Sonke works globally, and especially across Africa, to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS. In this way the organisation contributes to the development of societies in which men, women, youth and children can enjoy equitable, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of just and democratic societies.
About the Position
Sonke is looking for a committed, suitably qualified and experienced individual to fill the position of Accountant who will be responsible for assisting with budgeting, establishing and maintaining financial policies and procedures, implementing internal control systems, maintaining financial records, preparing financial project reports and assist with the preparation of management reports. The Accountant will ensure compliance with Sonke’s accounting policies and procedures, various donor procedures and regulatory requirements.
Key duties and responsibilities
1. Budgeting and cash flow forecast
- Monitor monthly cash flow forecasts and funding requests in line with approved activity plans;
- Support the Finance and Sub-Awards Unit Manager with the preparation of annual organisational budgets;
- Assist budget holders with the drafting of budgets and advise on over and under expenditure;
- Monitor of budgets;
- Prepare variance reports on a monthly basis and ensure consistent interaction with program staff in relation to these reports;
- Monitor expenditure against the programme budget; and
- Attend monthly budget holder meetings.
2. Accounting and reporting
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual donor reports;
- Attend to day to day financial control processes and accounting procedures;
- Control account reconciliations;
- Review partner financial reports & conduct monitoring visits to partner organisations;
- Lead and coordinate month end processes;
- Maintain a Fixed Asset Register; and
- Process monthly bank reconciliations.
3. Compliance and financial policies and procedures
- Facilitate transfer of funds to partner organisations;
- Assist with VAT submissions to SARS;
- Lead and undertake proper filing and safekeeping of financial documentation;
- Participate in monthly budget holder meetings and guide project managers on project status burn rate;
- Ensure adherence to policies and procedures by all partners;
- Review sub grantees financial reports;
- Set up payments for approval on online banking system and file supporting documentation;
- Prepare all other journals and posting of payment vouchers including deposit of income and cash refunds journals, payroll and general journals and ensure they are correctly and timeously captured in the accounting system as stipulated in the financial guidelines;
- Assist with the preparation for project and annual audits and liaise with auditors; and
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Finance & Sub-Awards Unit Manager.
Education, experience and competencies
- Bachelor of Commerce degree.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar position with excellent knowledge of the NGO sector in South Africa.
- Strong computer skills especially with MS Word, Excel, Pastel Evolution and other related packages.
- Self-starter, experience working with multi-donors.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Problem-solving skills, the ability to work under pressure, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Exhibit the highest standards of excellence and integrity, and display at all times a courteous, professional and cooperative attitude.
- Fluency in English a requirement & valid driver’s license essential.
- Willingness to travel outside South Africa.
- Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae, and a motivation letter detailing experience and contact details of 3 referees and this one page application form to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit via email to email@example.com, closing date 31 January 2020.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- For non-South Africans or permanent residents, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs; employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- EE candidates are encouraged to apply.
- If you do not hear from us by 28 February 2020, please consider your application unsuccessful. The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.