Founded in 2006, Sonke is a women’s rights organisation that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender-transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a world in which women, children, men and gender non-conforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender-just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society and citizen’s capacity to advance gender justice and women’s rights, prevent gender-based violence, and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, and in this way contributing to social justice and the elimination of poverty.
About the position
The Regional Communications and Social Media Coordinator position aims to gradually achieve superior online community engagement and exposure by strategically strengthening all aspects of the social media marketing roadmap. This position will use social media platforms to promote and maintain the visibility for the Power To Youth, PTY programme. In addition to working with Power To Youth, this position will render their time and skills to other work as requested by Sonke Gender Justice.
Key Performance Areas
The Regional Communication and Social Media Coordinator will be responsible for:
1. Reporting and content production
- Write narrative reports and/or newsletters on the organization’s activities to accompany digital media products.
- Produce social media posts that document the work of PTY and its partners to describe important developments related to work on gender equality, health and human rights.
- Draft media statements and op-eds and circulate on social media.
- Produce high-quality graphics, layouts and illustrations for various communication uses.
- Work on campaigns and other joint activities with network partners.
2. Social media engagement
- Build and execute social media strategy through competitive research, platform determination, benchmarking, messaging, and audience identification.
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original texts, images, or videos) that build meaningful connections and encourages community members to take action.
- Set up and optimize organizational pages within each platform to increase the visibility of our social content.
- Moderate all user-generated content in line with the moderation policy for each community.
- Create editorial calendars and syndication schedules.
- Continuously improve by capturing and analyzing the appropriate social media data/metrics, insights, and best practices, and then act on the information.
- Collaborate with other units to manage Sonke’s reputation, identify key players, and coordinate actions.
3. Capacity building
- Work with external consultants to build and strengthen the capacity of the PTY networks and to use social media to advance their work on gender transformation, health, and human rights.
- Develop advocacy trainings and facilitate workshops when required.
4. Manage digital media content
- Download/upload, archive, and catalog the organization’s media assets.
- Develop and implement organisational systems to file, label, and archive media content and assets.
- Ensure that the organisation’s media assets (including photos, videos, case studies) are readily available to staff.
- Ensure that the organisation’s media assets are securely backed up.
- Recognised university degree in Communication, Journalism or Media. A postgraduate qualification is advantageous.
- Minimum of 3 years’ work experience in a relevant field (e.g., journalism, media, communications).
Experience and competencies required
- Fluency in English. A working knowledge of French, Swahili, and other languages spoken in the Africa region is advantageous.
- Proven working experience in social media marketing or as a Digital Media Specialist.
- Experience working in the NGO environment & with international donors is advantageous.
- Proven graphic design experience.
- Demonstrable social networking experience and social analytics tools knowledge.
- Above-average competence in the use of computerised packages – Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications, i.e., Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Experience developing and implementing training and workshops for diverse groups.
- Exposure to Adobe Creative Suite (especially Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Illustrator) and other design software advantageous.
- Photography and videography skills advantageous.
- Excellent writing, editing (photo/video/text), presentation, and communication skills.
- Knowledge of online marketing and a good understanding of major marketing channels.
- Ability to write news articles, op-eds, and media statements.
- Positive attitude, detail oriented and community oriented with good multitasking and organisational skills.
- Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae, and a motivation letter detailing experience and contact details of 3 referees to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, closing date 6 June 2023.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- For non-South African nationals, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs; employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- Sonke is committed to racial and gender transformation and encourages previously disadvantaged individuals to apply.
- Please consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us by 31 July 2023.
- Sonke reserves the right not to make an appointment.