Founded in 2006, Sonke is a women’s rights organisation that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender-transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a poverty-free world in which women, children, men and gender non-conforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender-just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society and citizens’ capacity to advance gender justice and women’s rights, prevent gender-based violence, and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, in this way contributing to social justice and the elimination of poverty.
About the Position
The Research, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Specialist is responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of Sonke’s comprehensive monitoring and evaluation system. Working with the Chief of Party and RMEL Unit Manager, the RMEL Specialist will develop and implement monitoring and evaluation tools, processes and reports for USAID funded Khutlo project in the Kingdom of Lesotho.
Key duties and responsibilities
The RMEL Specialist will be responsible for:
1. Monitoring and Evaluation
- Lead with the planning, implementation and development of M&E management functions in the organization viz:
- Strengthen Khutlo’s systems, tools and processes.
- Define key performance indicators and monitor them throughout the institutional project implementation period.
- Propose strategies to promote the use of data to inform project programming.
- Assist and provide input to the project plan and results-based framework.
- Provide input and clarification on M&E processes during project inception meetings.
- Work closely with project team to plan for process and outcomes.
- Oversee the collection and inputting of M&E data in Sonke database and or USAID/PEPFAR system (DIS, DHIS and DATIM etc.).
- Analyse M&E data and submit reports to the management teams and USAID when required.
- Manage risk in terms of data security and database back-ups.
- Assist projects with the development of results-based frameworks and Theory of Change frameworks.
- Assist projects with formative and summative research.
- Provide M and E related support to Khutlo team and strategic partners in Lesotho.
- Assist the RMEL Unit manager in monitoring the RMEL budget within Khutlo.
- Conduct routine data quality assessments and project performance audits & reviews.
- Work with external consultants and unit managers to design and implement impact or process evaluations.
2. Training and capacity development
- Train Khutlo staff on the use of M&E tools and systems.
3. Research and Collaboration
- Support research activities within Khutlo.
- Collaborate on research with different partners in Lesotho.
- Support baseline and endline research for Khutlo.
4. Fundraising and report writing
Work with the fundraising manager with regard to the following:
- Completion of M&E sections and results.
- Meeting with donors when requested to.
- Write M&E sections in donor reports.
5. Promoting evidence-based programming and sharing models and promising practices
- Assist Khutlo with transcription and desktop research.
- Assist with descriptive data analysis.
- Assist with conducting and writing up significant stories of change within Khutlo.
6. Educational requirements
- BSc Hons Public Health, Data science, Project Management or a diploma in Monitoring and evaluation. A Master’s degree in public health will be an added advantage.
- Qualification in a field related to the position.
7. Experience and competencies required
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the field.
- Experience in using a results-based approach.
- A good understanding of masculinities, gender inequality, violence and HIV in the African
- Strong understanding and use of spreadsheets and reporting.
- The ability to take initiative and work independently and in a team.
- Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Excel and database skills.
- Fluency in multiple languages and Sesotho is advantageous.
- The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Analytical and abstract reasoning skills.
- Results-oriented and driven to produce high-quality work.
- Self-management, by demonstrating integrity and credibility, leading by example, committed, knowledgeable and confident of the job functions and superior communication skills.
- Strong administrative and organisational skills.
- Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae, and a motivation letter detailing experience and contact details of 3 referees to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, closing date 2 June 2023.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Preference will be given to Lesotho nationals, for non-Lesotho nationals, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Lesotho Ministry of Home Affairs; employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- Sonke is committed to racial and gender transformation and encourages previously disadvantaged individuals to apply.
- Please consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us by 31 July 2023.
- Sonke reserves the right not to make an appointment.