Founded in 2006, Sonke is a womxn’s rights organization that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a poverty-free world in which womxn, children, men, and gender non-conforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy, and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society, and citizen’s capacity to advance gender justice and womxn’s rights, prevent gender-based violence and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, and in this way contributing to social justice and the elimination of poverty.
About this position
The Regional Communications and Social Media Coordinator position aims to gradually achieve superior online community engagement and exposure by strategically strengthening all aspects of the social media marketing roadmap. This position will use social media platforms to promote and maintain the visibility of the MenEngage Africa Alliance (MEA). In addition to working with the MenEngage Africa Alliance, they will render their time and skills to other work that is conducted in the region.
Key Performance Areas
Reporting and content production
- Write articles/posts on Facebook that document the work of MEA and its partners and/or describe important developments related to our work on gender equality, including health and human rights.
- Write narrative reports on the organisation’s issues and/or activities to accompany digital media products.
- Promote and circulate press releases and op-eds on social media.
- Assist in drafting media statements and op-eds.
Social media engagement
- Build and execute social media strategy through competitive research, platform determination, benchmarking, messaging, and audience identification.
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original texts, images, or videos) that builds meaningful connections and encourages community members to take action.
- Set up and optimize organizational pages within each platform to increase the visibility of our social content.
- Moderate all user-generated content in line with the moderation policy for each community.
- Create editorial calendars and syndication schedules.
- Continuously improve by capturing and analyzing the appropriate social media data/metrics, insights, and best practices, and then act on the information.
- Collaborate with other units to manage reputation, identify key players, and coordinate actions.
Work with the Communications & Media Specialist and external consultants to build and strengthen the capacity of the MEA Secretariat staff and MEA networks to use social media to advance their work on gender transformation, health, and human rights.
Manage digital media content
- Download/Upload, archive, and catalog the organisation’s media assets.
- Develop and implement organisational systems to file, label, and archive media content and assets.
- Ensure that the organization’s media assets (including photos, videos, case studies) are readily available to staff.
- Ensure that the organisation’s media assets are securely backed up.
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings, staff retreats, staff training, and international meetings as required.
- Attend stakeholder meetings, donor meetings, and conferences where necessary and when required to do so.
- Ensure the continued development of relationships with stakeholders and potential, as well as existing partners in order to further the work of programme units.
- Recognized university degree, postgraduate qualification an advantage
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in a relevant field (e.g. journalism, media, communications);
- Fluency in English, a working knowledge of French, Swahili, and other languages spoken in the Africa region will be an advantage;
- Above-average competence in the use of computerized packages – Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications; i.e. Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint;
- Strong online media experience;
- Excellent writing, editing (photo/video/text), presentation, and communication skills
- Experience working in the NGO environment & with international donors advantageous;
- Proven working experience in the social media marketing or as a Digital Media Specialist
- Demonstrable social networking experience and social analytics tools knowledge
- Knowledge of online marketing and a good understanding of major marketing channels
- Positive attitude, detail, and community-oriented with good multitasking and organizational ability
- Ability to write news articles, op-eds, and media statements
- Interested applicants should submit their CV, a motivational letter that details their experience, the contact details of three referees, to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit at email@example.com. Closing date 24 May 2021.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- The position will be based in Johannesburg. Non-South African nationals have the responsibility to obtain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs, and employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- Sonke is committed to racial and gender transformation and encourages previously disadvantaged individuals to apply.
- If you do not hear from us by 30 June 2021, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- The organization reserves the right not to make an appointment.