Fixed term – 12 months
Founded in 2006, Sonke is a womxn’s rights organisation that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a poverty free world in which womxn, children, men and gender non-conforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society and citizen’s capacity to advance gender justice and womxn’s rights, prevent gender-based violence, and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, and in this way contributing to social justice and the elimination of poverty
About this position
The purpose of the position of Senior Trainer is to reduce sexual gender-based violence, particularly, Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) in the community through trainings, IEC talks, community dialogues and other community-based interventions. The Senior Trainer will mentor mobilisers to engage the community on topics of human rights and the reduction of sexual gender-based violence (SGBV) by challenging the gender inequalities exacerbating the spread and impact of sexual harassment and the improvement of services.
1. Community Mapping
- Conduct community mapping of the areas where refugees and asylum seekers are working or residing for IEC talks.
- Recruit participants for workshops, community dialogues, project research related activities, to participate in media related project activities, for Brothers for Life, Zazi clubs and the school programme.
3. Community Action Teams, Gender based violence forums and community-based organisations
- Utilising the 5 in 1 community mobilisation model, ensure the effective functioning of Community Action Teams and Community, GBV Forum Based Organizations, BFL clubs, Zazi clubs, school program teams and community media partners to render GBV prevention activities.
- Compliance: attend weekly meetings with CAT members and other scheduled weekly meetings.
- Support Community action team activities.
4. Community Mobilisation
- Conduct formative research, including identifying communities in which Sonke want to work, focusing on areas in which Sonke is already active or in which new branches are going to be established.
- Identify ‘men’s settings’ within those communities, such as taxi ranks, clinics, taverns and churches through community mapping exercise.
5. Community Events
- Conduct community events, i.e door to door campaigns, mass mobilisation, street soccer, Zazi clubs, Brothers for Life (BFL) clubs, schools programme, etc.
6. Facilitation of workshops
- Facilitate Sonke Change Trial and Stepping Stones training and assist in Zazi trainings.
- Prepare logistics for the training.
- Facilitate Brothers for Life national sessions.
- Provide support to national partners on Brothers for Life interventions.
7. IEC Talks
- Conduct IEC talks and assist clinic with translation.
- Distribution of IEC materials.
- Condom education.
- Timely collation and submission of monthly donor and organisational reports.
- Compliance and adherence with Finance, Administration and procurement procedures.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in public health field or related experience
- Diploma in project management would be advantageous
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in programmatic aspects related to the prevention of gender-based violence and community mobilisation
- Good knowledge of the public, private and NGO sectors in Africa
- Expertise in training peer educators in HIV/AIDS and reproductive health, gender, social cohesion, advocacy and community mobilisation
- Proficiency in African languages
- Gender equality and development
- Facilitation skills
- Presentation skills
- Communication – the ability to express yourself clearly and concisely
- Budgeting and financial management skills
- Relationship management and ability to interact on all levels
- Report writing skills
- Computer skills
- Ability to work under pressure