‘My father is a role model’ – teaching kids to steer clear of crime

As authorities prepare to release the country’s latest crime statistics in Cape Town, some think tanks suggest fighting crime could begin in the home.

Gender groups says in a highly-violent society, positive male role models could be the key to teaching ways of steering clear of violence.

South Africa has, undeniably, a problem with absent fathers.

The Institute of Race Relations says that in 2013 only 33 percent of South African children lived with both parents. Of the remaining 67 percent, 39 percent lived with their mothers, and 4 percent with their fathers.

Gender and social activists say a lack of positive male role models is having an effect on children, and South Africa’s future.

Activist groups are hoping their voices will be heard when they devise their their anti-crime plan.

Watch the video on eNCA: http://www.enca.com/south-africa/my-father-role-model-teaching-kids-steer-clear-crime