About the position
The Communications and Strategic Information Unit Manager, working with the Senior Management Team (SMT), will have direct responsibility for defining, implementing and managing Sonke’s overall communication strategy in South Africa and the region and for managing the unit and will play a strong role in helping to guide and develop Sonke’s advocacy campaigns. This position is a member of Sonke’s Full Management Team (FMT).
- Manage the organisation’s identity and image (including production of Annual Report, newsletter, social media and website management);
- Contribute actively to national, regional and global advocacy campaigns;
- Use communications as a tool to share news about Sonke’s Community Action Team members to inspire community activism locally and nationally;
- Develop media advocacy trainings and facilitate workshops when required;
- Manage media relations, including community media, social media, and mass media;
- Support materials development and dissemination;
- Manage internal communications; and
- Proactive fundraising for CSI Unit.
Qualifications and skills
- Applicants must hold a Masters Degree in the social sciences, with a strong preference for Journalism, Public Health, or Human Rights degrees OR have significant experience (minimum 5 years) in managing communications work, preferably in a complex human rights, public health and/or development environment OR in journalism (political journalism as advantage);
- Expertise in any of the following areas: gender equality, gender-based violence, sexual and reproductive health and rights, democracy, human rights; peace and conflict; men and masculinities, community mobilisation, local government;
- Proven ability to respond quickly to unexpected opportunities and challenges;
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- At least 3 years experience in journalism (political journalism as advantage);
- Network of active contacts amongst media institutions in South Africa and across the continent;
- Experience convening media briefings;
- Ability to speak indigenous South African languages, French or Swahili an advantage.