With offices in Gauteng, Western Cape, Eastern Cape and Mpumalanga in South Africa, and Kampala, Uganda, Sonke works globally, and especially across Africa, to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS. In this way the organisation contributes to the development of societies in which men, women, youth and children can enjoy equitable, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of just and democratic societies.
About the Position
Sonke is looking for a committed, suitably qualified and experienced individual to fill the position of Finance Unit Manager.
Key duties and responsibilities
The Finance Unit Manager will be responsible for:
- Providing strategic financial management
- Co-ordinating internal and external audits (organisational and funder-specific)
- Budgeting, forecasting, as well as financial monitoring and reporting
- Managing procurement processes within the organisation
- Provide oversight and management of financial policies, operating procedures & systems
- Risk management
- Provide reports and make presentations on all financial matters to management & board meetings
- Develop short, medium, and long-term financial plans and projections
- Supervision of the finance team
Strategic financial management
- Work with Sonke’s Co-Executive Director to develop, refine and guide Sonke’s strategic vision through managing internal and external processes; and providing costing for operational/project activities
- Co-ordinate and develop budgets based on the organisations strategic plan
- Monitor the implementation of the strategic financial objectives of the organisation and recommend appropriate investment opportunities to strengthen the organisation’s reserves to provide financial sustainability
- Take responsibility for strategic financial management and financial analysis in the organisation, to ensure quality, cost effectiveness and accuracy of financial reporting
- Revise, amend & implement Sonke’s financial systems to ensure proper and transparent financial management in line with International Financial Reporting Standards
- Work with the Co-Executive Director to ensure that all funding contracts are rigorously managed to avoid organisational risk
- Develop and improve internal reporting processes & support programme staff in budget development
- Ensure financial policies and procedures are reviewed and updated annually, ensuring the organisation has mechanisms for the monitoring of internal controls and compliance
- Manage the cash flow of the organisation, together with all bank accounts, petty cash floats and organisational credit/debit cards, prepare/review cash flow projections on an ongoing basis and advise the Co-Executive Director & Senior Management Team on cost saving measures across the organisation
Management of Audits
- Co-ordinate the external annual audit, donor specific audits, and oversee internal audits
- Co-ordinate pre-audit meetings to establish expectations and requirements prior to the audit, make recommendations on findings & ensure prompt corrective action is implemented where appropriate
Management of Finance Team
- Convene weekly team meetings and monitor implementation of the unit’s work plan
- Conduct monthly documented supervision meetings and performance appraisals with staff members
- Manage staff development plans and other human resource matters for the Finance Unit and play a key role in building the financial management skills of the team
- Facilitate team building, team identity and strengthen working relations between staff members.
Payroll Management & adherence to statutory requirements:
- Manage the efficient administration of payroll and oversee timely processing of payments
- Ensure that Sonke is compliant with all statutory requirements and payments
Management of Assets
- Provide oversight and management of the organisation’s property & equipment including the Asset Register.
- Ensure that donor reporting takes account of the provisions of all relevant funding contracts
- Ensure that monthly Income and Expenditure reports, year-to-dates, showing expenses incurred, funds available and funds needed for the remainder of the project are prepared as per the various deadlines.
Experience and educational qualifications
- A Bachelor of Commerce Degree (B.Com Honours advantageous)
- Exceptional knowledge of IFRS (International Financial Reporting Standards)
- Evidence of progressive growth with increasing responsibility and ability to take on and complete projects
- 5 to 8 years senior management experience & proven experience in managing a finance team
- Experience working with and managing strategic relationships with international donors
- Working knowledge of the King IV Report on Good Corporate Governance
- Thorough knowledge of Pastel Evolution
- Knowledge of international donor/funding requirements and ability to monitor and ensure compliance with requirements.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Ability to lead, inspire and motivate team members
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Proven ability to work as a team leader and as a team member within multidisciplinary teams
- Problem-solving skills, the ability to work under pressure, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills
- Relationship building skills with an ability to establish rapport and credibility with a broad group of internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in contributing to the overall strategic planning of an organisation
- Exhibit the highest standards of excellence and integrity, and display, at all times a courteous, professional and cooperative attitude.
- Fluency in English a requirement & valid driver’s license essential.
- Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae, and a motivation letter detailing experience and contact details of 3 referees and this one page application form genderjustice.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/FInance-Unit-Manager-Application.docx to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, closing date 30 June 2019.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- For non-South Africans or permanent residents, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs; employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- EE candidates are encouraged to apply.
- If you do not hear from us by 31 July 2019, please consider your application unsuccessful. The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.