With a full-time staff of about 100 people working from offices in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Agincourt, Sonke works globally and across Arica to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS. (see https://genderjustice.org.za).
About the position
The Wellness Centre Co-ordinator will have direct responsibility for managing the activities and work of the trainers working from the Wellness Centre.
The purpose of the Wellness Centre Co-ordinator position is to provide direction, co-ordination, implementation and completion of specific projects ensuring consistency with organisational strategy, commitments and goals. In addition to ensuring the effective functioning of the wellness centre, the co-ordinator will also manage the trainers and ensure that project implementation is completed in a timely manner. Furthermore, through the work at the Wellness Centre aim to prevent new HIV infections and end Gender Based Violence through training and mentoring community action team members to support men in the target areas to reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS by reducing their HIV risk, increasing their use of HIV services and by challenging the gender inequalities exacerbating the spread and impact of HIV and AIDs.
- Planning, implementation and reporting of the work
- Lead the planning and implementation of projects at the Wellness Centre;
- Conduct formative research when required to;
- Plan and schedule timelines for activities at the Wellness Centre;
- Execute the implementation plan;
- Report on monthly ongoing project progress;
- Present reports defining project progress, identifying problems and provide solutions.
- Development and provision of IEC Materials
- Work with the WC CEM Manager to develop and provide IEC materials;
- Ensure that materials are distributed in accordance with the work plan.
- Ensure that the Wellness Centre and Trainers are provisioned with the required materials and resources to execute their tasks/objectives.
- Training and mentoring
- Provide training and mentoring in the identified areas on the implementation of One Man Can model;
- Facilitate the definition of project scope, goals and deliverables;
- Assemble and co-ordinate project staff;
- Track team deliverable using appropriate tools;
- Provide direction and support to project teams.
- Community Mobilisation and Network building
- Support the trainers and Community Action Teams on implementing Sonke’s community mobilizing strategies;
- Strengthen partnerships with key stakeholders (MSATs, health care workers, police, educators/school, faith leaders, local government/ward councillors);
- Conduct/host quarterly partner meetings at the wellness centre.
- Provision and distribution of training materials
- Provide training materials, condoms, IEC materials and other promotional materials to Community Action Teams and Community Based Organisations;
- Track the success of the interventions and the distribution of materials undertaken by identifying and providing training and mentoring to Community Action Teams in identified areas on the implementation of the One Man Can type approach. These approaches include mass mobilization, ambush theatre, street soccer, digital storytelling, community radio talk shows and others. Facilitate all bi-monthly Community Action Teams and monthly community activities.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Monitor and evaluate project success and compliance with deliverables;
- Facilitate a smooth exit from the target area at the end of the project period
- Applicants must hold a minimum of a Senior Certificate (Grade 12) qualification.
- A Degree in the social sciences, with a strong preference for Public Health, or Human Rights degrees is advantageous.
- A minimum of 5 to 7 years experience in having worked in a complex human rights & public health environment.
- Extensive knowledge on Sonke’s One Man Can Model and a track record of community mobilisation,
- Expertise in any of the following areas will be of benefit: gender equality, gender based violence, sexual and reproductive health and rights, democracy, elections and governance; peace and conflict; fatherhood, human rights.
- Experience in project management, donor reporting and time management, presentation skills.
- Excellent written skills and ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently, balance multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines;
- Excellent organisational and planning skills with the ability to prioritize time and work effectively;
- Pays attention to detail, displays a high level of integrity, able to multi-task and is deadline driven.
- Possess a valid RSA Drivers license is required.