Founded in 2006, Sonke is a womxn’s rights organisation that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a poverty free world in which womxn, children, men and gender non-conforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society and citizen’s capacity to advance gender justice and womxn’s rights, prevent gender-based violence, and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, and in this way contributing to social justice and the elimination of poverty.
About the Position
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist is responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of Sonke’s comprehensive monitoring and evaluation system. Working with the Research, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (RMEL) Unit Manager, the M&E Specialist will develop and implement monitoring and evaluation tools processes and reports.
Key duties and responsibilities
The Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator will be responsible for:
Monitoring and Evaluation
Lead with the planning, implementation and development of M&E management functions in the organization viz:
- Strengthen Sonke’s M&E systems, tools and processes.
- Coordinate the ongoing development, roll-out and maintenance of the M&E data management systems, including the online data management and reporting system (currently Salesforce).
- Define key performance indicators and monitor them throughout the institutional project implementation period.
- Propose strategies to promote the use of data to inform institutional programming.
- Assist and provide input to the organizational strategic plan and results-based framework.
- Provide input and clarification on M&E processes during project inception meetings.
- Work closely with project team to plan for process and outcomes.
- Oversee the collection and inputting of M&E data in all offices.
- Analyse M&E data and submit reports to the management teams.
- Manage risk in terms of data security and database back-ups.
- Assist projects with development of results-based frameworks and Theory of Change frameworks.
- Assist projects with formative and summative research.
- Provide M and E related support to all Unit Managers.
- Assist RMEL Unit manager in monitoring RMEL budget.
- Support project managers with data quality assurance processes for the trainers when necessary.
- Conduct routine data quality assessments and projects performance audits & reviews.
- Work with external consultants and unit managers to design and implement impact or process evaluations.
Training and capacity development
- Train Sonke on the use of M&E tools and systems.
Research and collaboration
- Assist in collaboration with external researchers on research relating to work with women, children, girls, youth, men, and boys.
- Assist with writing articles for publication in peer-reviewed journals and presentation to international conferences.
Fundraising and report writing
In collaboration with the Resource Mobilisation Manager:
- Complete M&E requirements in funding proposals.
- Meet with donors when requested to.
- Write M&E sections in donor reports.
- Manage and supervise M&E staff.
- Have regular meetings.
- Provide mentorship and support.
Educational qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree, preferably relating to gender or public health.
- Knowledge of and experience in using results-based management.
Skills, competencies and personal qualities required
- Strong leadership skills.
- The ability to take initiative and work independently and in a team.
- A high level of computer literacy.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- A good understanding of masculinities, gender equality, violence, and HIV in the African context.
- The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Analytical and abstract reasoning skills.
- Results oriented and drive to produce high quality work.
- Self-management, by demonstrating integrity and credibility, leading by example, committed, knowledgeable and confident of the job functions and superior communication skills.
- Availability and ability to travel within the region.
- Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae, and a motivation letter detailing experience and contact details of 3 referees to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit via email to email@example.com, closing date 9 July 2021.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- For non-South African nationals, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs; employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- Sonke is committed to racial and gender transformation and encourages previously disadvantaged individuals to apply.
- If you do not hear from us by 31 July 2021, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- Sonke reserves the right not to make an appointment.