Founded in 2006, Sonke is a women’s rights organisation that is committed to feminist principles, using a rights-based and gender transformative approach to achieve human rights and gender justice. Our vision is a poverty-free world in which women, children, men and gender non-conforming individuals enjoy equitable, caring, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of gender-just and democratic societies. Sonke strengthens governments, civil society and citizen’s capacity to advance gender justice and women’s rights, prevent gender-based violence and reduce the spread of HIV and the impact of AIDS, and in this way contribute to social justice and the elimination of poverty.
About the position
The Communications Intern(s) will support the management and implementation of the Regional/MenEngage Africa Media Strategy to boost public and media outreach, reporting to the RPN Communications and Social Media Coordinator. The Communications Intern will assist the communications Coordinator in working closely with the regional programming teams. The intern will work closely with the development and implementation of communications and advocacy campaigns.
Duties And Responsibilities
The intern(s) will perform the following activities under the direct guidance of the Regional Communications and Social Media Coordinator:
- Assist in the promotion of Sonke Regional programmes and projects.
- Assist in the development of MenEngage Africa and Sonke Gender Justice communication products such as newsletters, bulletins, booklets, and other awareness and information items.
- Working with Regional Communication Coordinator, Coordinate the MEA Equal Access Campaign
- Maintaining and updating media and partner contact lists
- Hosting online meetings and webinars.
- Monitor monthly online reach and engagements created by online content.
- Assist in the creation of digital content(Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube)
- Conduct research and create ancillary materials.
- Assist in the development and implementation of campaigns.
- Research and create fresh concepts for Web and social media content.
- Assist with maintaining updated media and partners contact lists;
- Taking pictures, recording videos and conducting interviews for purposes of creating media and social media content
Experience and competencies required.
- Fluency in English. A working knowledge of French, and other languages spoken in the Africa region is advantageous.
- Proven basic graphic design experience.
- Demonstrable social networking experience and social analytics tools knowledge.
- Experience developing and implementing training and workshops for
- Photography and videography skills advantageous.
- Excellent writing, editing (photo/video/text), presentation, and communication skills.
- Knowledge of online marketing and a good understanding of major marketing channels.
- Interested applicants should submit their Curriculum Vitae, and a motivation letter detailing experience and contact details of 3 referees to Sonke’s Human Resource Unit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, closing date 11 August 2023.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- For non-South African nationals, it is the responsibility of the applicant to attain a work permit from the Department of Home Affairs; employment will depend on a valid work permit being in place.
- Sonke is committed to racial and gender transformation and encourages previously disadvantaged individuals to apply.
- Please consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us by 31 August 2023.
- Sonke reserves the right not to make an appointment.